Pricing – Probate and Administration of Estates
Our fees vary depending on the service requested. Please see below for out estimated fees:
Obtaining grant of probate/letters of administration
For this service, we require you to provide us with the date of death balances/values of the assets and liabilities within the estate. We do not obtain them on your behalf.
Once received, we prepare the paperwork required to obtain the grant, arrange for it to be signed and lodge the same with the Court.
Once the grant has been received from the Court, we pass it onto you as executors for you to deal with the assets in the estate.
If the deceased’s estate is less than £325,000 in value (or less than £650,000 where the current deceased inherited a predeceased spouse’s estate) our fees for this service are a fixed fee of £750 plus VAT.
If the deceased’s estate exceeds £325,000 (or £650,000 in the above circumstance) then our fees for this service are a fixed fee of £1,125 plus VAT.
In addition to this, there is a fee of £155 payable to the Court for them to issue the grant, plus a fee of £1.50 per extra copy of the grant.
Dealing with the full administration of the estate
For this service, we deal with the full administration of the estate from start to finish. Our costs for dealing with the full administration of the estate depends on the value of the estate and is charged on an hourly rate basis. Our hourly rates are noted below:
£217 plus VAT
£192 plus VAT
£165 plus VAT
Legal Executives and Fee Earners
£165 plus VAT
Paralegals and Legal Assistants
£118 plus VAT
If the estate is less than £325,000 (or less than £650,000 where the current deceased inherited a predeceased spouse’s estate), then we will deal with all aspects of the administration of the estate, including but not limited to:
- Reviewing the deceased’s documents to establish assets
- Placing statutory adverts in the newspaper for any unknown creditors
- Obtaining details of assets and liabilities from the various organisations
- Preparing the paperwork in order to obtain the grant of probate
- Marketing of any properties
- Closing accounts, cashing in/arranging for the sale of assets and paying liabilities
- Finalising income tax affairs
- Preparing final estate accounts and distributing monies from the estate.
The time spent dealing with an estate will vary depending on the type of assets in the estate and the deceased’s personal circumstances among other things. Therefore, it is impossible for us to provide you with an exact quote.
We anticipate that estates of this nature will take between 15 to 30 hours to administer from initial instruction to conclusion. You will be charged based on the hourly rates set out above.
If the estate is more than £325,000 (or £650,000 in the above circumstance), then we will deal with all aspects of the administration of the estate noted above, plus the following:
- Preparing complex inheritance tax forms
- Accounting to the HM Revenue and Customs for inheritance tax
- Dealing with specific assets – i.e. business assets
- Potentially more detailed income tax reporting to HM Revenue and Customs
We anticipate that estates of this nature will take between 20 to 60 hours to administer from initial instruction to conclusion. This will depend on the nature of the assets in the estate and the value of the estate as a whole. You will be charged based on the hourly rates set out above.
In addition to our costs, there will also be disbursements payable, including but not limited to:
- Court fee for issuing the grant - £155 plus £1.50 for each copy of the grant
- Legal fees for the sale of a property – approx. £550-650 plus VAT
- Land Registry fees for office copies - £3.00 per copy
- Land Registry fees for transferring the property to a beneficiary - £20-100
- Bankruptcy search fees - £2 per beneficiary
- Fees for placing statutory adverts – approx. £150-250
Assisting on an ad hoc basis
We are also able to assist you on an ad hoc basis, for specific matters in which you require our assistance. Our fees for doing so will vary depending on the task that you require assistance with and will be charged based on the hourly rates set out above.